Struggles

Haven't written in a few weeks, really not much to report. My sister and I met with an elderlaw attorney, once with Dad (and he brought Mom along). We were able to get some things straightened out which helps me feel less stressed.

Mom called last night leaving a message on our answering machine saying she was with "Dado" (her father) at his house and was going to stay with him all night because he wasn't feeling well. In fact, she was with Dad. Dado passed away in 1974.

I don't think I'm in a good spot now. I have been avoiding as much contact with my parents as possible. I know that is not good but I've let so much of what is going on with THEM effect me and things with MY OWN family and it wasn't fair to my kids. I was giving up so much time with my kids and I was growing resentful. However, I still have so much guilt by the avoidence. So.....I guess I am a work in process with all of this, even after all these years of dealing with Mom's dementia. This disease has changed my family so much in such a bad way. I honestly don't know how this disease doesn't effect every family the way it has effected mine. How do other families do it?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I will not pretend to understand what you are going through, but I just wanted to say that your reaction and feelings seem completely reasonable and understandable to me. I'm so sorry you have to go through this- you are an amazing woman Anners!
-Rachael