The Learning Curve for How to Pay for Nursing Home Care

A Facebook friend of mine posted a thought today. She asked the question "how does anyone afford nursing home care?".

I was so happy that I actually knew the answer!! I was so happy to give her the answer because I didn't know myself until a couple of months ago. I was so completely stressed out and overwhelmed by that same question. How on earth would my parents have enough money for nursing home care should the time come that my mother would need it permanently? Well, my question was answered when my sister and I had an appointment with an elder law attorney back in January.

Our elder care attorney answered all of our questions!

If I can give anyone going through this process of caring for someone with this disease any one tidbit of very important advise it would be to GO TO AN ELDER CARE ATTORNEY!! Since then, I have felt that a tremendous weight has been lifted off of me. I know what steps are left to take, I know that my mom will be taken care of, and I know that I will be able to sleep at night without worry.

We found out that in order for Mom to go into the nursing home permanently we have to spend all of HER money. Her money will pay the nursing home. Once ALL of her money is gone then she can go on Medicaid and that will pay for her to stay at the nursing home. And fortunately, Dad will still have money to live on, to keep their patio home, to keep one car.

~PLEASE MAKE YOUR APPOINTMENT TODAY WITH AN ELDER CARE ATTORNEY~ Don't be afraid to take notes, don't be afraid to ask questions. This is all very important information and it will help all the way around!

Comments