Dad's birthday - October 9, 2011

Yesterday was Dad's 77th birthday. David, the kids, and I all went to visit with a delicious Key Lime pie in hand from the Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen. Just after we arrived in walked Camille and my nephew Nick. It turned out to be a small, impromptu family birthday visit which was very pleasant. Mom and Dad were eating lunch which we all interupted but they didn't seem to mind. Both parents looked great and were very happy that we were all there. Here are just a few pictures that were taken. Camille and Nick had already gone, I wish I had remembered to get some shots while they were there but I didn't even think about taking pictures until just as we were getting ready to leave.
Dad was being mischievious turning away from the camera which made Mom laugh.
Dad finally got serious and I was able to get this great picture. Mom and Dad both look wonderful and happy which makes me happy.
Had to get one with me!
Then a picture with my kids Emma and Wade - 2 of their 4 grandchildren.

*********** The Sundowners came for a visit later in the night, around 10:00 PM. David and I had put the kids to bed about 30 minutes earlier and had just gotten relaxed on the couch watching Storm Chasers. The phone rang and it was Mom. Here is how it went (approximately):
Mom: "Hi Anne, it's Mom. I hope I'm not interupting your evening."
Me: "No Mom, you're not. What's going on?"
Mom: "I'm here talking to Hal and know I'm married but I don't know to who. I don't think I'm divorced but I'm not sure."
Me: "No, you're not divorced. You are married to Dad."
Mom: "And that is?"
Me: "Dad is Hal and Hal is there with you."
Mom: "oh"
Me: "Today is Dad's birthday. We were all there visiting with you both today and we had key lime pie"
Mom: "Oh you were? I don't remember that."
Me: "Yes Mom, we took some pictures. David and the kids were there and Camille and Nick."
Mom: "I don't remember any of that. I think I'm going to cry." (Mom started sobbing)
We talked a little bit longer after this but it's more than I want to type right now. I appologized to Mom for her not remembering, telling her that I was so sorry. At this point I feel incredibly guilty for even mentioning all of todays events to her because it made her cry. Part of her still knows she is forgetting. I told her that I had emailed the pictures to Dad and that she could look at them and see that we had a fun time. About 20 minutes later Dad called me to see how the phone call with Mom went. I told him I felt awful that I had made Mom cry. He reassured me letting me know I didn't do anything wrong. He also said that Mom cried for a while after she had hung up with me.
This disease is ..... I can't even think of a word to describe how horrible it is.

Comments