3/25/10: The Phone Call

Dad called me last night just as David and I were going to bed, it was about 10:30 PM. After this call I could not get to sleep. I can't recall word for word but here is how it went:

Dad: "Hi, I'm sorry to be calling this late but your mother needs to talk to you."

Me: "Okay."
((Dad hands the phone to Mom))
Mom: "Hi (pause), who was that man you were just talking to?"

Me: "(gulp)Dad."

Mom: "(long pause)What does he look like?"

Me: "He's bald, wears glasses, has a short beard and a little round belly."

Mom: "Why don't I recognize him?"

Me: "I don't know Mom."

Mom: "Who is the man who was with me all day today?"

Me: "From what I know Mom it was Dad."

Mom: "What is his name?"

Me: "Well, his nickname that you and all your friends call him is Hal. His legal name is Harold Forrester Junior."

Mom: "Why don't we call him that?"

Me: "Why don't we call him Harold? Because he never liked that name so everyone has always called him Hal."

Mom: "Where has he been all these years?"

Me: "He's been with you Mom."
((At this point Mom is beginning to sound tearful.))
Mom: "Why don't I recognize him?"

Me: "I don't know. What does he look like to you?"

Mom: "I don't know."

Me: "Do you feel uncomfortable having him in the house with you?"

Mom: "Yes, very."

Me: "Do you want me to come there tonight?"

Mom: "No, it's too late for that."

Me: "Why don't you two sleep in seperate rooms."

Mom: "Oh, I will take care of that."
((All the while that this conversation is going on Dad is sitting next to Mom))
Mom: "Do you want to talk to him again?"

Me: "Sure."

Dad: "Hi"

Me: "Has this been going on all day?"

Dad: "Yes, she doesn't believe that I am your father."

Me: "Have you two talked to Camille yet?"

Dad: "Yes, just had the same phone call with Camille."

Me: "Do you want me to come."

Dad: "No, nothing you can do."

Me: "I'll check in with you in the morning."


In later cell phone texts I asked Dad if she has trouble recognizing other people. Here is Dad's text reply: "Sometimes. She thinks she's engaged to Til Parsons or Kenny Glass. She does not believe she is married to me. This is the worst she has been."

Comments